WHAT IS THE SOUNDPROOFING FUND FOR?
The program supports soundproofing measures in Berlin clubs and music venues, in order to ensure the long-term compatibility of living space and club operations near one another. Its main consideration is to address the different needs of all affected stakeholders.
The fund supports measures that defuse existing conflict situations. In addition, conflict-prevention measures and the development of soundproofing concepts are explicitly included in the funding framework.
AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
- Funding is available to support soundproofing measures for commercially-operated clubs and live music venues located in Berlin.
- Clubs and live music venues are places of musical character that hold at least 24 events per year according to GEMA's U-K tariff (live concerts). Alternatively, 48 events with the participation of "artistic DJs", or a mixture of both types of events in a 1:2 ratio, may qualify for application.
- The clubs and music venues must be able to demonstrate at least 12 months of program operation within the last two years within the scope of the above-mentioned criteria. Due to the pandemic, proof from 2019 and 2018 will also be accepted.
- The contract of use (rental or lease agreement) for the premises in which the funding measure is carried out must have a remaining term of at least two years after the expected completion of the funding measure. In individual, justified exceptional cases, this requirement may be deviated if the project in question is of exceptional importance
- The audience capacity of the club must not exceed 1,500 people.
- Entities that receive recurring annual funding from public funds in excess of 20% of their annual revenue are not eligible for program funding under these guidelines. This also includes non-cash benefits such as subsidized staff positions (including trainees), rent subsidies, and the like.
- Venues that are part of a composite institution with socio-cultural character are ineligible, as are revue theaters, musical venues, concert halls, and any other facilities whose character is clearly different from that of a club.
 For the purposes of this program, an “artistic DJ” is someone who mixes different pieces of music together into new soundscapes and compositions using sound carriers and technical aids. The resulting output must have the quality of a new artistic product.
HOW DO I SUBMIT AN APPLICATION?
Grant applications to the soundproofing support program are submitted to Clubcommission Berlin as the administering organization both by e-mail and by mail (in duplicate). For the application, the basic application form (Basisantrag) should be completed, with all requested documents attached.
Based on this application, the basic eligibility of the applicant will be determined. For eligible applicants, Clubcommission Berlin then commissions the preparation of a soundproofing report (Schallschutzgutachtens) with recommendations for measures.
After the expert opinion has been prepared and the applicants have decided on concrete measures, a main application (Hauptantrag) requesting a specific amount is submitted together with further documents. This is then approved or rejected after evaluation by the jury.
Digital applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Paper applications should be sent to:
Clubcommission Berlin e.V.
More information about the application procedure is available on the page Application & Implementation.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE BASIC APPLICATION AND MAIN APPLICATION?
After submitting a basic application (Basisantrag), the eligibility of applicants is checked and then a soundproofing report is prepared, which serves as the basis for the decision on the measures and main application. The main application (Hauptantrag) is made without a specific form, but instead by submitting several self-declarations and price quotations for the planned measures. These documents together are evaluated by a jury and then approved or rejected.
WHAT DOCUMENTS DO I NEED FOR THE BASIC APPLICATION?￼
Official materials for program review must be submitted in German; please contact us at email@example.com with questions or concerns.
- Completely filled out basic application incl. de minimis declaration, SME - declaration for affiliated and interconnected companies (Basisantrag inkl. De-minimis Erklärung, KMU – Erklärung für verbundene und verflochtene Unternehmen)
- Copy of the applicant's identity card (Personalausweis) or confirmation of registration (Meldebestätigung)
- Business registration (Gewerbeanmeldung)
- Excerpt from the commercial register (Handelsregisterauszug) / entry in the transparency register (Transparenzregister)
- GEMA statement for the last 24 months, or other proof of events held in the last 24 months.
WHY DOESN’T THE BASIC APPLICATION ASK FOR A FUNDING AMOUNT?￼
The proposed funding amount can only be determined after the noise protection report has been prepared. Since the measures vary greatly in individual cases, the amount of funding requested depends on the concrete measures that are planned.
WHAT DOCUMENTS MAKE UP THE MAIN APPLICATION (Hauptantrag)?
- Soundproofing report (Schallschutzgutachten)
- Application letter stating the planned measures and their financial scope (no form)
- Three offers for planned measures incl. award notice (Angebote inkl. Vergabevermerk)
- Special contract conditions for the advancement of women (Besondere Vertragsbedingungen zu Frauenförderung)
- Self-declaration on ILO core labor standards (Eigenerklärung zu ILO Kernarbeitsnormen)
- Self-declaration on suitability (Eigenerklärung zur Eignung)
- Special terms and conditions (T&C) on compliance with wage scale agreements, minimum wage and social security contributions (Besondere Vertragsbedingungen (BVB) zu Tariftreue, Mindestlohnung und Sozialversicherungsbeiträgen)
- Self-declaration on wage scale compliance (Eigenerklärung zur Tariftreue)
WHICH DOCUMENTS DO I NEED TO SUBMIT TO COMPLETE THE FUNDED PROJECT?￼
- Evaluation form (Evaluationsbogen)
- Final report (Abschlussbericht)
- Photo documentation of the measures
- Proof of use of funds
WHICH DOCUMENTS DO I NEED TO SUBMIT AFTER THE END OF THE FUNDED PROJECT?￼
No later than one month after the end of the grant period, proof of use should be submitted to Clubcommission Berlin e.V. by (registered) mail. The following documents will be attached to the proof of use (Verwendungsnachweis):
- Project documentation
- List of receipts in table format
- Overview of net payments
- Original invoices (for payments from the grant)
- Accounting voucher & copy of invoices from the applicant’s own contribution
Warum werde ich im Rahmen des Basisantrags nicht nach der Höhe der Fördermittel gefragt?
Die Höhe der zu beantragenden Fördermittel ergibt sich erst nach der Erstellung des Schallschutzgutachten. Da die Maßnahmen im Einzelfall stark variieren, hängt die Höhe der zu beantragenden Fördermittel von den konkret geplanten Maßnahmen ab.
DO I, AS THE APPLICANT, HAVE TO PAY FOR THE SOUNDPROOFING REPORT?
No. The soundproofing report is prepared at the expense of the administering organization, Clubcommission Berlin e.V. The costs incurred will not be included in the amount of funding to be calculated, if applicable.
HOW HIGH CAN THE PROJECT AMOUNT BE?￼
Projects are not limited to a maximum amount, however, the grant generally does not exceed 50,000 EUR per application. In justified exceptional cases, the grant may be extended to a maximum of EUR 100,000 per application, provided that the measure in question is of exceptional importance.
WHAT DOES „EXISTING CONFLICT SITUATION“ MEAN?￼
For the purposes of this program, the following (non-exhaustive) guidelines apply when determining if there is an “existing conflict situation”:
- Economic losses to club operations due to disputes with residents or other adjoining owners,
- Official measures against club operations,
- Imposition of fines,
- Threat to revoke the operating license,
- Imminent termination of the contract of use (e.g. rental/lease agreement).
HOW (AND WHAT AMOUNT) DO APPLICANTS NEED TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE PROJECT?
The amount of the applicant’s own contribution varies between 10% and 20% of the overall project fee depending on the amount of funding requested. The following principle applies: the higher the amount of funding requested, the higher the personal contribution.
|Requested amount||Applicant contribution|
|1,00 € to 10.000,00 €||10 %|
|10.000.01 € to 20.000,00 €||15 %|
|from 20.000,01 €||20 %|
A separate project account must be set up for the grant funds. Applicant’s own funds must be used up in full before the subsidies are used. In addition, the applicant’s own assistance in the implementation of the measures is desired; the jury includes this factor in application consideration.Für die Fördermittel muss ein separates Projektkonto eingerichtet werden.
HOW WILL THE GRANT BE PAID OUT?
The grant is paid to the grant recipient by bank transfer. Grant funds are generally paid in instalments. Grant funds may only be requested if they are needed for payments due in the following two months. Payment of additional instalments will be made only upon proof that the previous instalment has been fully spent.
WHAT DOES “EARMARKING PERIOD” (ZWECKBINDUNGSFRIST) MEAN?￼
The grant recipient(s) are obligated to continue operating the subsidized club in the subsidized premises or at the subsidized location for a period of 24 months after completion of the measure, without any change in use. During this earmarking period, the club may not be sold or otherwise transferred to third parties, nor may a change of use of the premises be brought about. This also expressly applies to the sale of shares to a legal entity. In the event of a violation, the funds received must be refunded in full. Evidence of continued operation must be provided to the program-implementing organization by the grant recipients within three months of the expiration of this deadline.